The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: NOT the speedmaster.
In Response To: Re: NOT the speedmaster. ()

: Thanks for the above two posts...

: As far as specific activities go, I cycle a
: LOT, and while I tend to do lots of
: hiking/rock climbing, I don't wear a watch
: during such activities. While not ideal, I
: would consider a quartz watch from Omega...
: is Seamaster the way to go with respect to
: quartz?

The Seamaster quartz would be your most rugged and versatile quartz watch from Omega. It has 300 meters of water resistance, so you could swim with it without worry. The DeVille and Constellation quartz models are dressier and are not suited for water use. Neither is the Speedmaster X-33 used by NASA. It's a rugged watch but it lacks the water resistance found in the Seamaster.

: I am also amenable to the suggestion of the
: second poster (I currently have a g-shock
: that has taken the abuse in stride). I think
: that the only other concern that I have is
: that I live in a part of Canada that has
: VERY cold winters, so thermal shock is a bit
: of a concern even if I am not doling out
: physical blows to the watch.

If you do plan to wear the watch outside in severe cold for extended periods of time each day, you will need to have special lubricants put into your automatic watch to keep it running.

: One of my concerns with having an Omega watch
: to wear during 'relaxing' time is that, as I
: understand it, many Omegas require wrist
: movement for proper function; if I only wear
: it for a few hours (8-9) each day, would
: that be enough movement? Granted this isn't
: the case for a quartz...

That would be sufficient to keep the watch wound. You would wind the watch fully when you first get it so that its power reserve is at its maximum. From here, 8-9 hours a day of wrist motion will keep it wound (as long as you aren't sitting comatose with the watch just resting on your wrist for those 8-9 hours).

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE