The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Speedmaster Date 3513.50 *LINK*
In Response To: Re: Speedmaster Date 3513.50 ()

: Hey John, it seems to be doing just fine.
: Although I have always wondered how you guys
: measure that. I have never known how to do
: that but would like to learn. My Aqua Terra
: has been on the winder for the last week and
: it still seems as acurate as always as well.

: If anyone can inform me how to measure accuracy
: of a watch, I'd like to know. Thanks!!!!!

: Larry

Hi Larry,

I use the website in the link below, which is to the official US time clock. The first thing you need to do is synchronize your watch with this site. Then come back and check the time again after a week or so and see how many seconds your watch has gained or lost over the course of a week. You can then divide that number by 7 to get an idea on your watch's daily timekeeping.

Since your watch is new, it is still in its "settling in" phase, so it may be a few weeks or a month before you start to notice its time gain or loss remaining consistent. -4 to +6 seconds per day is the COSC chronometer specification, and even though your Speedy Date isn't a chronometer, it is certainly capable of running within those specs.

You can also experiment with different overnight positions to try to optimize your watch's accuracy. Every mechanical watch behaves differently, so it's all a matter of trial and error. You may find that your watch gains about 4 seconds a day while on your wrist, but it will lose a few seconds overnight while kept in a certain position (crown up, crown down, dial up, etc.). So, you can help "offset" any time gain or loss by experimenting with overnight positions.

Part of the fun of owning an automatic watch is checking its timekeping and trying to optimize it. Since you have a new watch, you should be able to have some fun experimenting.

Good luck,
John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE