The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: 3520.50 day-date newby question *LINK*

: I am considering purchasing my first mechanical
: watch. I looked a a 3520.50 day date and
: have two questions: 1. When manually
: winding, is it normal that when winding it
: clockwise, it makes no sound and is stiff
: and when turning counter-clockwise, it is a
: ratcheting sound?

This is normal. However, your watch has a built-in overwind protection mechanism, so when you turn the crown clockwise to wind the watch, eventually you will reach the watch's full power reserve. When this happens, you can hear a faint clicking noise as you turn. This is the overwind protection mechanism engaging, indicating the watch is fully wound.

: 2. The watch was new in 1999 and has never been
: serviced. I assume it needs it.
: Approximately what will that run and what
: service center is recommended?

Omega's website indicates that it costs about $350 to have a full chronograph servicing done at their Bienne headquarters in Switzerland. If you are in the US, Walter Gooden is an authorized factory service center with a good track record on this forum. A link to their website is below. I'd advise you to avoid Omega USA in New Jersey at all costs, as their track record is very spotty. After my last experience with them I will never let them touch any of my watches again.

Messages In This Thread

3520.50 day-date newby question
Re: 3520.50 day-date newby question *LINK*
Re: 3520.50 day-date newby question
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE