The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Setting Date
In Response To: Setting Date ()

: Hi All,

: I need advice. A week ago I received my new
: Omega SP “ James Bond” model 2220.80 with
: the co-axial movement. 3 days ago at about
: 7:55 pm I wind it and set the time (when I
: opened the box the watch stopped at 11:12 pm
: or am, I’m not sure so I moved the hour hand
: backwards to 7:55 pm and then set the date).
: I wore it in bed and the next morning at
: about 8 or 9 I noticed that the date has not
: changed so I adjusted it. The same thing
: happened again for 2 day. On third day I
: noticed that the date changes some time in
: the morning. Am I setting the date
: correctly? I don’t want to unscrew the crown
: too many times to damage the gasket on it.
: And one more thing, do I have to adjust the
: date for the months that have less than 31
: days? I wll post a picture of my Omega later
: on when I learn how to do it.
: Thank you for any advice.

: Ted

Hi Ted,

When you get a new watch, there are a few things you need to do to set the date and get it to change at the right time. First of all, unscrew the crown and, when the second hand is at 12 o'clock, pull the crown all the way out to position 3 (as far as it will pull out). This will stop the second hand. Now, keep turning the hands forward until you see the date change (do NOT worry about what date appears in the window - you'll set that later). When this happens, you know that you have just passed midnight and your watch now "thinks" it is AM. If you are doing this on the morning, just turn the hands forward to the correct time and push the crown back in. The watch will now run. If you are setting the time in the afternoon, turn the hands through all 12 hours. When you get to 12 o'clock, you'll notice that the date does not change. The watch now "thinks" it is PM. Now you can move the hands forward to the correct time and push the crown in, but do not screw it back in yet. From now on your watch will know when it is AM and when it is PM.

To set the correct date, just pull the crown out to position 2. The second hand will continue to move. This is the quick date set position. Keep turning the crown until the correct date is displayed in the window and then push it back in. NOTE: Do use the quick date set feature between 9PM and 3AM to avoid potential damage to the date change mechanism.

Before screwing the crown back in, I'd fully wind the watch to make sure it has its full power reserve. You do this in position 1 (the first position the crown is in when you unscrew it). Keep turning the crown until you hear a faint clicking noise as you turn. This is the watch's overwind protection mechanism engaging, meaning your watch is now fully wound. You may have to hold the watch close to your ear to hear this sound. You can now screw the crown back in. When you do so, do not overtighten it. As soon as you feel resistance, don't tighten it any further. Overtightening the crown can prematurely wear the threads down over time.

I hope this helps.

-John

Messages In This Thread

Setting Date
Oops...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE