The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I reject your question and substitute my own! =)--
In Response To: Best GMT watch? ()

Best GMT watch? Posted By: Bill Williams Date: 3/9/08 15:21:51 GMT

My new job will have me traveling extensively all over the world. I want to buy a reliable GMT watch, either quartz or automatic; accuracy is my number one criterion. I will appreciate recommendations and comments. Thanks in advance.

You've given us some very broad parameter's. Sam's covered some of the broad depth and breadth of the possibilities. I'm surprised to find no "Whiz Wheel" or Flightmaster's in your coverage Sam! Sam's right in that you've not posted much in the way of hints or restrictions, which results in a very broad range of possibilities.

So in the spirit of Adam Savage [of TV's Mythbusters]: ,,I reject your question and substitute my own!,, and thus I'm going to take a different tack for my initial recommendation and suggest what I consider to be the best all-around travel watch on the market today:

Ok, I know you're asking “why this, Chuck?”...

I know of no watch which offers the array of features this watch does.

First off, it's Water Resistant to 100m and doesn't need batteries. Who wants to wear a watch which you are afraid of getting caught in a monsoon in Bangkok and who needs their watch to become unwound or the battery to die in the middle of a trip? None of these will happen with this watch.

This watch can display up to three timezones at once... UTC/GMT in the 2 o'clock register, one on the LCD display and another on the analog hands. You can keep one displaying the time where you are, and the other to display the time at home or your next stop.

Next, this watch has three alarms on it. You can set one to wake you up, the other two to remind you of time to take prescription medicine [which you might forget on a trip].

It has a chronograph which records up to 24-hours with 1/100th of a second accuracy.

It has a 99 minute countdown timer.

It has a slide rule which is very handy for sales tax or Currency Conversions.

It's available in both Stainless Steel or the lighter more non-alergenic Titanium.

It's quartz so it'll be accurate and durable.

Citizen is available worldwide and is a known quantity in terms of quality and reputation.

Lastly, this model lists for $400 [Stainless] or $500 [Titanium] with Street prices being notably lower.

So if you loose or break it, or if it get's stolen... It's not the end of the world.

There are other variations available if this style doesn't appeal to you. In fact this model is not available in a strap, other [Black bezeled] models can be afixed with a strap if the owner needs/desires.

I own the earlier Citizen "Navi-Hawk" battery powered Quartz model and it has been a stalwart traveller for me for the better part of a decade and a half [bought mine in Munich in May 1994].

I consider these near the optimal travel watch [unless you're going to a WIS heavy environment... You're looking for a watch which is reliable, dependable, versatile and isn't going to require any fuss. That's the Skyhawk in my opinion.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Messages In This Thread

Best GMT watch?
Re: Best GMT watch?
I reject your question and substitute my own! =)--
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE