The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

OK. Steve W takes a step backwards
In Response To: Re: Switzerland *LINK* ()

OK. [Whipes egg off his face ]

It looks like a reacted too quickly ( mental note to self, first research, then write )

I assumed by L'Orient you meant the far east. hence my reply. I have just googled "L'Orient Switzerland" & find ..... this Following a link in there takes me to this This

So we are talking about a town/village in Switzerland.

However reading the clubspeedmaster article carefully, it isn't clear to me that the watch is assembled in L'Orient. I think it's just the movement that is built at L'Orient, at the Lemania Factory.

I'd still say that the final watch assembly is done at Bienne by an Omega employee.

For your second question, I can't imagine that Omega will stop producing speedmasters with the 861. If they did this they'd automatically loose their NASA status. I think this would be a disaster for them. who would throw away this unique source of advertising & publicity ? So I really can't see them dropping the 861 movement altogether. So there are 2 options for them, start production again under the Omega name or still buy them from Lemania.

What is clear is that there are FAR more speedmaster versions fitted with movements other than the 861 & I think it's safe to say that the 861 will ONLY be fitted to the "moonwatch" speedmaster, any other speedmaster model will ( continue to ) be fitted with a non-861 movement. ( so I think you can forget a MK II re-issue or a Seamaster using the 861 again ) With this policy Omega can claim exclusivity & raise the price of the moonwatch as they wish :-)

Fortunately there are a LOT of secondhand Speedies out there :-)

Good question Ryan !

All the Best

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Speedmaster Production
Switzerland
Re: Switzerland *LINK*
OK. Steve W takes a step backwards
Re: OK. Steve W takes a step backwards
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE