The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Some Extended Thoughts...
In Response To: Re: Some Extended Thoughts... ()

Hi

Thanks all for the helpful advice in this thread.

I'm about to purchase an Omega Aqua Terra.

I live in New Zealand and it's very difficult to get much discount on anything here, especially luxury items, due to the small demand. (Population around 4 million).

With the current exchange rate so good for us, I could save at around $1000 by buying from a gray market dealer. I understand I only have a warranty with the seller and I would have to ship the watch overseas. Given this fact and the price difference, I still believe it is a risk worth taking. If I needed to pay a repair myself, I still have $1000 to play with.

My questions are:

Will Omega still repair my watch or will they refuse to touch it in any way? A dealer told me that they would not be prepared to receive the watch back.
Will I be able to get the watch serviced in a few years time by an authorised service agent?

I understand i won't have a warranty and to be honest I think the saving is significant enough that if the shop selling refused to honour their warranty, I should still be ok with my $1000 in the bank.

Does anyone have an idea what the common things are, that could go wrong and the repair cost?

And finally, is anyone brave enough to stick their neck out and recommend a gray market dealer they have had a good experience with? Ones I have found are:

Authentic Watches
Jomashop.com
Watchmaxx
Watchesonnet.com

Thanks
Lee

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE