The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Dial discoloration question
In Response To: Dial discoloration question ()

: Hi, I am just wondering how long will current Omega watch dials
: last before it starts to discolor if exposed to natual wear and
: tear such as direct sunlight and other sources of light such as
: a lamp. Also, will different colors discolor easier? For
: example, black, silver, and pearl colors. Thank you for your
: help.

An interesting question, and one I consider impossible to answer specifically at the present time, because I have no real evidence about current dials after enough time for discoloration to occur.

Generally, dark dials are the most sensitive to fading. However, the most common cause of damage is the intrusion of moisture, which occurs in any watch over time.

We can examine how Omega dials produced in the past have aged and use that as a prediction of the future behavior of Omega dial. However, this presumes that the quality and manufacturing processes in the past have been consistent and are indentical today.

The next several remarks are my observations on a subject I haven't ever tried to accumulate data on or examine scientifically, so they are really just general impressions and should be regarded as such.

** A typical black Omega dial on a Speedmaster has aged to a uniform attractive dark gray after 30 to 40 years.

** By 50 to 60 years, dials of any color are typically aged with moisture related discoloration. This deterioration can occur much earlier, of course, but by that age, nearly all dials have it.

** Errors in production have occurred as the quality and manufacturing processes have not been consistent. One example is the "chocolate-dialed" early Speedmasters, which aged to a uniform brown. (These were so sought out Omega is producing new Speedmasters with dials of this color!)

Regarding quality, as competition from quartz drove prices down, generally Omega's quality suffered beginning in the mid-1970s in my opinion. Then, in the mid-1990s, quality began to to arise again. This is not to say that Omega did not make quality watches during that era, because they did. But judging the complete range of production, this was a relatively dark period for the quality of Omega watches. Please keep in mind, Omega has always produced a wide range of watches, with several levels of quality available in the line of products.

Beginning in the early to mid-2000s, Omega has sharply increased the quality and price of the watches produced (co-axial escapement, new exclusive movements, etc.). We are now seeing enamel dials in Omega watches, which are generally much darker and more resistant (impervious?) to fading. Some of the dials are quite stunning and you are seeing evidence of higher quality dials, in my opinion. As Omega increases prices, it appears they have increased the quality of materials and processes used.

As I said, I think you asked a question which cannot be answered directly. I hope my musings on the subject have been helpful.

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE