The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: What attracted you to Omega and to (mechanical) watches?

Sam
good question.
I always liked watches as they represent a mechanical wonder under in potential beautiful dial. I always admired those watches with fine printed dials, good designs on them with regard to letter type etc.
It is also the company stories I like, the research into connections. best example imo is gruen and the links to the aegler manufacturer of the same movement as in the rolex prince. Its a shame that gruen went down, and in what way.
omega is a different story. many omegas I find ugly nd overpriced for people with too much money. only a few are really nice in my eyes but thats ok. its a matter of personal taste. for whatever reason i almost always fall for black dials. and prefer the combination with white gold, or stainless steel.
as a student i could only afford a seiko automatic of around that time 100 dollars. its still in my drawer but it needs cleaning, new glass and the band got too "open".
now I can afford omegas (that is up to 1000 dollars- euros, iow; 1000 to 1500 $)
i like the chase and search.
i prefer manual wind or automatic as that save time when on a pressed time schedule in the morning
I dont like quartz at all as they are all the same.
mostly the case and dial attract me. the best examples are specific gruens, or omegas from the 30-40.
take the gisler website and search for omega stainless steel with T-17 movement as an example only.
still looking for such omega.
i have a very small colection, the word is not even applicable. 1 seiko, 1 gruen in white gold with a very thin movement, 2 omegas with684 movement, chrono from swiss for daily use. but just started 3 month ago
Why omega: traceability, the quality, parts and service available. a network of enthousiasts and information on vintage watches. last but not least: numbers on movements and cases are combinations in time. if the year for the case is not near enough for the movement it smells.
all for now.
willem

: That's my story . . . . so, the question(s) of the day:

: -- why do you like watches?
: -- why manuals/automatics/tuning forks/kinetic quartz/quartz, what
: is your preference?
: -- why Omega?

: Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE