The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Stuff about the Swiss watch industry . . .

A friend of mine in the retail watch industry attends Basel each year. He brought me back a booklet that was a guide to the show. It included some 2007 statistics on the Swiss watch industry that I found interesting.

As Mark Twain said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics." So consider the source (the Swiss watch industry) and take the information with a grain of salt.

In 2007, the Swiss watch industry exported CHF 15,960 million (or CHF 16 billion) and 25.9 million units of wristwatches. CHF 1,161 million of those sales weren't wristwatches. That translates to an average sales price of CHF 572.

By material, steel watches were 58% of the units sold and 42% of the value. If I interpolated correctly, that translates to an average steel watch price of CHF 424.

The Swiss exported more mechanical watches than electronic for the first time in 2001. The gap has widened ever since. Mechanical exports were CHF 9,944 million and electronic was CHF 4,855 million.

The US was the largest market for Swiss exports, at CHF 2,440.9 million or 15.3%, but essentially the same as Hong Kong at 15.2%.

By country

USA 15.3%
Hong Kong 15.2%
Japan 7.6%
Italy 6.4%
France 6.2%
Other 49.3%

By continent

Asia 44% (21% outside of Hong Kong and Japan, with no other country more than 6%)
Europe 34% (21% outside of Italy and France, with no other country more than 6%)
Americas 20% (4.7% outside of the USA)
Oceania 1%
Africa 1%

So, Russia and China are markets less than 5% of Swiss exports.

I was interested in how much per capita each country spent. The world population in 2007 was about 6,671 billion, compared to CHF 15,690 million (16 billion) in Swiss watch exports or a worldwide per capita expenditure on Swiss watches of CHF 2.39. Not a particularly meaningful number, except for comparing countries.

By country

USA -- CHF 8.14
Hong Kong -- CHF 346.56 (my guess is not all of those watches stay in the country!!!)
Japan -- CHF 9.70
Italy -- CHF 17.02
France -- CHF 16.49
Other -- CHF 1.29

By continent

Asia -- CHF 1.79
Europe -- CHF 7.48
Americas -- CHF 3.59
Oceania CHF 4.84
Africa -- CHF 0.18

Sam aka Hewybaby

Messages In This Thread

Stuff about the Swiss watch industry . . .
Interesting to see hard numbers
Very interesting.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE