The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: A fake Seamaster, Please Help!
In Response To: A fake Seamaster, Please Help! ()

: Seller claimed watch was vintage 50's.
: From this website I have gleened that
: if the face surrounding the crystal is
: gold, the backside ought to be gold as well.

Not true. Not sure what you saw that made you believe that. But especially on Omegas from the 1950s and 60s, there were many that were 'gold top' or used filled or rolled gold. Seldom did gold watches of that era have gold backs.

: Omega make a Seamaster with a day/date and
: do/did Omega manufacture such a watch with a
: "an ultrawhite fine barley grain dial".

Only Omega knows for sure. Realize that this company has made TENS OF THOUSANDS of different models and variations over the past 150 years. So it is impossible for anyone without access to Omega's huge records to say exactly what was or wasn't ever made.

But I can tell you that Omega day/date models were mainly from the late 1960s through 1970s.

If you posted a link to the auction item, we could look at this specific watch and say if anything looked odd about it or its description.

In general, it is NOT advisable for a novice watchbuyer to buy a vintage watch on an auction site. Far better to shop at a reputable vintage watch dealer who will stand behind what they sold you. Buying from an auction site you have no idea who you are dealing with, how accurately they are describing the item, and virtually no recourse if it is not what you expected.

Messages In This Thread

A fake Seamaster, Please Help!
Re: A fake Seamaster, Please Help!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE