The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I'm getting =+5/day with my 2055.80

In late September, 2002, I bought a new Seamaster Pro. I manually wound, to make sure it was fully powered, it and started keeping track of its accuracy about three times a day. My normal wear pattern has the watch on my arm for 16 hours per day and I am moderately active. I suspect is stays fully wound.

Over the first couple of months, I was pleased to see that the watch was averaging just under +6 seconds per day, but frustrated to see that there was no position that caused it to slow (e.g. when stored at night). I have observed that the night gains seem to be least when the watch is stored DU.

I understand that the watch may slow some as it ages, but what I am finding is that it seems to be getting slightly faster. I September and October, the gains were 5 or 6 seconds. Now, average daily gains are 7 seconds. It’s winter here and I wonder if the lower temperatures are affecting the watch, even though I work indoors.

Last week, I took it off at 22:00 and put it back on at 10:30. I checked the time twelve hours later and was amazed to see a 13 second gain in 24 hours! The watch seems to gain much faster when the power reserve drops below 38 hours (i.e. when it sits for more than 6 hours).

I have done some experimenting and see that the watch runs best when worn all of the time. In the last 24 hours, I saw a 5 second gain.

So, should I return it for warranty service? Does winter weather cause 20% variation in accuracy? Are large gains normal when at or below 86% of full power reserve? I have not checked overnight position variances lately; do they change as a watch ages?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Jay

Messages In This Thread

I'm getting =+5/day with my 2055.80
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE