The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

Re: FS: Omega SM300 vintage 1600!!

: Hi Will and others ... this is an old thread but it is bears
: resurrecting.

: [name of SELLER redacted] sold the Omega SM300 to me and indeed, as TONI
: said (above in CAPS) the watch sold by [SELLER], [email address of SELLER redacted] is, in fact, a fake. It has an
: Omega dial, hands, movement - but stuffed into a case that
: was not as represented in his offer to sell. It is NOT a
: WatchCo.

: I contacted [SELLER] about this when I found out, after having the
: watch looked at by a watchmaker who pointed out that the watch
: was not right. (This was almost a year after the sale, although
: as I told [SELLER], misrepresentation has no statute of
: limitations.) I offered him a chance to make it right: do the
: right thing or take back the watch and refund monies paid.

: (I can't post multiple images, but if there's interest from the
: community I can set up links to pictures of the watch next to a
: real Omega case, to show the differences).

: Anyway, [SELLER] declined to make the deal right, to refund my money,
: or to make any adjustment.

: So, buyer beware of dealing with [SELLER], [email address of SELLER]. In this thread he states emphatically
: that "it most certainly was not fake" which is not a
: true statement. Either he knew, which would make him a person
: who tells lies, or he didn't know in which case I would question
: his representations about any aspect of the watches that he is
: selling.
:

: [SELLER] - if you're reading this ... This is happening to you as a
: consequence of choices that you have made. Consider the value of
: your reputation measured against money - for that is what is
: what you are choosing to trade-off. Money comes and goes, but
: your reputation is yours forever.

: (Just for background about me: I've been a lurker here, but have
: purchased watches on all the fora. I'm a member of NAWCC and
: abide by the Code of Ethical Conduct in all my dealings. I've
: got over a decade on eBay with 375+ all-positive transactions,
: and many refs here as well. I'm just disappointed in [SELLER].)
================================================

Ez

As you and most all of us know, nobody wins in a situation such as this.
Actually, everyone is a loser in a situation such as this.

You have lost a good deal of money and although the seller of the watch, [SELLER], may think he has come out on top, he is actually risking his reputation. (That is if he has a reputation to protect).
A few thousand dollars is not even in the ball park when it comes to putting my reputation on the line.
Actually, I can not think of anything worth risking my reputation over.

As far as the watch you purchased, the Omega SM300 vintage 1600, it seemed to be an exceptionally low price in the first place, but not TOO low.

I am fortunate enough to live just outside of San Francisco.
Any or most of my jewelry or watch items can be easily verified down on Post Street or in the Financial District where many of the Old and New Jewelry and Watch Houses are still located.

I also own a rare Omega watch and was able to take it to The House of Omega to have it verified.
However, even if I didn't live near SF I would find a reputable and well known Appraiser, jeweler or watch dealer to either have the watch Appraised or at least verified as being authentic. Then of course include this information into my advertisement.

If the seller is unable to provide documentation regarding the authenticity of the watch along with photos of the watch works, stamps and markings then you are essentially buying on the sellers word.

I agree this person, [SELLER], appears to have mis-represented the Omega watch he ended up selling to you.

If [SELLER] does not do the right thing by refunding your purchase price or make amends suitable to both parties then please look to see if Chroncentric.com has a buyer/seller protection policy such as Ebay does.

I do not know if Chronocentric.com has any form of assistance in situations such as this or if this site is strictly buyer beware. It may be worth checking into if you have not already done so.

Otherwise, This leaves you with the only option I can think of, that by alerting everyone here on the Chronocentric. com Website about the scrupulous dealings with [SELLER], as you have been doing.

In the meantime, keep on doing what you're doing.

Cheers, and all the best.

Will

============================================================================================================================

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE