The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Vintage ref. 79090 Tudor Submariner w/Perfect Black Dial

Up for sale is this cool transitional Tudor Prince Oysterdate Submariner ref. 79090 circa early 90s with stunning Mint original Tritium dial and very fat (dare I say unpolished?) case. This one-owner quickset Sub is the last of the acrylic crystal models and is in overall Very Good vintage condition. It comes on its original Tudor-signed folded 9315 Oyster bracelet with "380 B" ends, a valuable commodity in its own right. To put the cherry on top of the sundae, this great Submariner has just been fully overhauled by my NYC Master Watchmaker and will come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal non-abusive use.

The asking price for this great Tudor Sub is $2750 USD. The price includes fully insured worldwide shipping. Bank Wire or Paypal eCheck preferred. Paypal instant payment is OK with split fees (+2%). Other payment options on application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

Click Here for Large Dial Scan>>> http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/tomvox1/Tudor%2079090/Tudor79090-Master_edited-1.jpg

CASE & BACK: The lugs on this watch have a never-polished thickness to them, as well as sporting their classic Rolex chamfers. Additionally, the lugholes show no distortion like one sees when the sides have been polished. Therefore, while it is very difficult to say that a vintage watch has "never" been polished, in my opinion this Sub hasn't been. Of course, because of this I elected not to have my watchmaker detail the case at service and so it does show evidence of 20 years of wear: the sides have numerous nicks and scuffs and the chamfers also show some nicks. I rate the case as in Very Good overall original condition for a 20-year-old watch that has been worn regularly. Model # and 7-digit B prefix serial number, indicative of early 1990s production (h/t VRF Tudor SN Project) are crisp between the lugs and the case is corrosion-free. Flat back with all Oyster Case nomenclature quite legible has some superficial scratches but no personalized engraving or dedication--Excellent overall. This caseback is screwed down too tightly for me to remove with my hand wrench to take photos, as I would normally do. My watchmaker reported no significant corrosion to the inner back or inner case lip.

DIAL & HANDS: Absolutely Mint original matte black Tritium lume Shield dial is defect free with all creamy white lume dots & triangles intact and unblemished. (Any flaws perceived in the pix are on the crystal.) Hands are Near Mint with some slight fractures to the original Trit luminous fill, particularly evident on the Mercedes hand and sweep second dot.

MOVEMENT: High-grade hacking automatic Swiss Tudor-signed movement (ETA 2824) with quickset date. As stated above, I am not able to remove the back but obviously, as the movement has just been completely overhauled, all functions are operating properly and it is keeping good time. The movement is guaranteed against any problems for 6-months of normal, non-abusive use.

BEZEL: Original bi-directional divers bezel & inlay with correct medium-thick font for the era and intact Trit pearl. The bezel rotates in both directions as it should, is very sharp edged and in Excellent condition. The insert has a few minor scratches and marks from use and is likewise Excellent.

CROWN: The Rolex Triplock crown with external O-ring screws down tightly, winds properly and pulls out to the quickset date & hacking time setting positions as it should.

CRYSTAL: Small bevel and correct acrylic Cyclope 125 would appear to be original to the watch. It has just been polished and is in overall Very Good condition with some residual nicks and a chip to the edge between about 31 and 36 minutes. It's somewhat rare to find the correct 125 crystal still mounted on a Tudor Oysterdate Sub, as the 127 is more often than not used as the go-to replacement crystal even though that is meant for the Rolex 1680 and the date magnifier is a millimeter or so off of true alignment. So even though this crystal is not 100% perfect I feel it is better to keep it on the watch than installing a new and incorrect xtal, as 125s are quite hard to source.

BRACELET: This Submariner comes on a Very Good to Excellent condition 12-link folded 9315 Oyster bracelet with 380 B ends with moderate stretch but plenty of life left. At its smallest adjustment, it is loose on my 7.25" wrist and will probably fit up to 8" at full length. It has a Shield clasp, big logo Tudor clasp blades and Tudor-signed diver’s extension, which are all correct for this era. It is date coded "O 2," ca. 1990, so most likely also original to the watch. This bracelet has just been lightly detailed by my watchmaker to remove some of the more prominent scratches and refresh the satin finish.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch as I have opened the watch to take pictures. Please take it to your local watchmaker and have him pressure test it prior to any aquatic use.

This great Vintage Tudor Sub is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

Messages In This Thread

FS: Vintage ref. 79090 Tudor Submariner w/Perfect Black Dial
ON HOLD. Best, T. nt
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE