The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

What it really is...

I would be happy to share what makes this NOT a Rindt:

1) This auction is for a Heuer Autavia 2446c. The "c" stands for compressor case, also referred to as snap back case. The Rindt was a 2446 3rd execution screw back case. So just looking at the caseback, you will know immediately that this has a compression case, and not the screw back needed.

2) The lugs on a compression case are also different than the 3rd exec screw backs. Look closely at the photos, and you will be able to see the differences. Also, the lugs on the compression case are 20mm vs the screw backs are 19mm

3) Case size is also slightly different, where the compression case is 40mm and the 3rd exec screw back is 39mm.

4) Bezels between the two are different, when you look at the side teeth.

5) The dial of the Rindt vs this compression case look very similar, but if you look closely, you will notice a few differences. The easiest thing to notice is the 3, 6, 9 markers. The Rindt has a rectangular lume line vs the compression case has lume dots for these three hour markers. The second thing to notice is the size of the 5 minute steel markers, the Rindt's are longer.

6) The serial number is not in the correct range for this to be a 3rd exec screw back. The serial shown is 108551, which no Rindt had a 6 digit serial.

The reason I brought this up and have given attention to it is that at first quick glance, you could easily assume it is a Rindt, just because of the bezel/dial configuration. If you are not intimate with Heuer's, and don't know these small details, you could easily take the seller's word for it, and think you are buying a Rindt, since it looks very similar. I don't like the fact that the seller is being deceptive with this sale, and attempting to pull a fast one on new collectors who is interested in getting into a Heuer, and then later on finding out that they don't have what they thought they bought.

Between the dials looking similar, and this specific compression case Autavia having the rarer Hour (H) bezel, it can easily be taken for a Rindt if you are not that familiar with these early Autavia's. Most people have only seen the compression case with a MH (Minute/Hour) bezel or a Tachy bezel, so this could easily confuse a buyer. Hence why I felt the need to voice my concern and share it with the community, in case anyone was bidding on this piece assuming it was a Rindt.

It's sad to see this, because the watch is actually a nice piece, and has a great rare bezel with it. It would have done very well at auction, if the seller was more accurate about what they were selling, instead of trying to claim that this was one thing, when in reality it was not. They can easily claim that they did not know, but I don't buy that BS, especially when they are selling hundreds of watches on this account, and being in the "watch biz", they know better.

I hope this helps, and I am sure other members can chime in with more details.

Cheers
Carlo

: Can you tell us, why it is not JOCHEN RINDT ?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE