The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

A marketplace for chronographs, dive watches and other tool-type wristwatches and timepieces

This forum is for BUYING, SELLING and TRADING only--not for discussing watches. Please limit postings to specific ads for buying, selling or trading watches, parts or accessories that that match at least one of the following categories:

Please see our ChronoTrader Policies and Terms of Use. Learn more about How To Include Photos In Your Postings.

Rules: Postings must be an ad announcing an intent to sell, buy or trade. Full item description and photo(s) must be posted within the message here, not as links to other websites. Links to online auctions and other sites: Links to online auctions, dealer sites or other listings of items are permitted, but you should be careful to ensure that such listings will comply with our other ChronoTrader Policies. In addition, we request that sellers linking to online auctions or listings offer some benefit or accomodation to ChronoTrader readers (for example, some discount or an undertaking to end an auction early, to keep a watch "in the family"). Photos must be of the actual item for sale in its present condition. No counterfeit or replica products. No post for the same item may be repeated within 7 days, except to lower the asking price. Commercial dealers are limited to three unique posts per day. [More...]

FS: Omega Speedmaster with Paul Newman provenance

The following is an ad I have listed on ebay. For any chronocentric member I will include free 2-day shipping anywhere in the continental US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170313176706&category=31387&_trksid=p2773.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D40%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

In 1997, actor Paul Newman and Carl Haas celebrated the success of their race team, Newman-Haas Racing, by giving engraved Omega wristwatches to every one of their team's employees. Women received a ladies watch and the men received the blue Omega Speedmaster Automatic Chronograph you see here. This version of the Speedmaster was worn by Michael Andretti, the team's driver, throughout the '97 CART season as he was sponsored by Omega. These "Newman Haas Racing" watches--of which there are maybe only 50 or so in existence--are distinguished from the already rare CART Omega Speedmasters by the "Newman-Haas Racing" engraving on the back of the case and by the embossed and signed Christmas card accompanying each and every watch.

As a member of the race team I received one of these fine watches, which I continue to wear to this day. In 1997 I also purchased a second CART / Newman Haas Racing Speedmaster from a teammate. This is the watch I am listing for auction today.

A Few Details About the Watch:

- 1997 Omega Speedmaster Automatic Chronograph "CART" edition

- 1143 Movement (according to Omega)

-The case is engraved with "Newman Haas Racing 1997"

-Never worn (blue protective shipping film still covers the polished case ends)

-The watch has a Stainless Steel case and rare, blue-leather band

Included in the auction:

Unworn Omega Speedmaster Automatic Chronograph CART edition with "Newman Haas Racing" engraving.

"signed" and embossed Newman Haas Racing Christmas card with envelope

Original miniature race tire display case with lug-nut tool and stand

Original blue-fabric display cover

Original "Worldwide Service Center Network" booklet

Original "Operating Instructions" booklet

Original "International Warranty" card

Original leather paperwork wallet.

Original Omega box displaying both the PIC and S/N numbers

Things you should be aware of:

-The Original Omega box has a slight water stain on its side (I'll try to get good photos of it though it doesn't want to show up on my camera) and the corners of the box are not as sharp as they were when new.

-While "signed," it is all but guaranteed that the Christmas card does not contain actual Paul Newman or Carl Haas signatures. Rather, they are probably the signatures of either Carl Haas' wife or the Haas' estate manager.

-The suede lining of the leather paperwork wallet has darkened the envelope of the Christmas card as I kept the card safe and sound within it since purchasing the watch.

-The warranty card was never filled in with the watch information or with a jeweler's name. I can only assume this is because the watch was issued through the team and not through a jeweler.

-The tire display case has a few light markings/dust marks in the rubber. They look like they would come off with a light cleaning but I will leave that to the discretion of the buyer.

-I do not know how many CART speedmasters were made in 1997 but I am reasonably certain that only 50 or so mens watches were engraved with "Newman Haas Racing" to be distributed by Paul Newman and Carl Haas to crew members and some team sponsors.

This is a pristine, highly collectible Omega and a wonderful memento of Paul Newman, Michael Andretti, Carl Haas and one of the most successful open-wheel race teams in American racing history. I have included as much information as I can think of but welcome any questions you might have. I would like to sell this in person for cash but will arrange shipping and delivery options if needed. The buyer will be charged the cost of the shipping service that is agreed upon between seller and buyer. Happy bidding.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE