The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

Counterfeit Watchers Discussion Forum

A forum for identifying and avoiding wholly or partially non-authentic wristwatches -- including counterfeit, replica, Frankenwatches and other fake or bastardized pieces. Our objective here is to DISCOURAGE the sales and purchase of counterfeit wristwatch and jewelry products. It is also for helping people identify watches that are mostly authentic, but have been: altered for personal customization, repaired with inappropriate parts or modified to be passed off as more valuable pieces.

Including a photo of the piece you are talking about ALWAYS helps! You can learn how to post a photo here: How To Include Photos In Your Postings. 'For sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Links to Internet auctions are acceptable only if their purpose is to question the authenticity of a product or provide new clues for identifying counterfeit products. Links that appear to be 'shills' promoting the sale of counterfeit products will be deleted. Links to websites of sellers of counterfeit items are not permitted -- we know they are out there and do not need to be encouraging them by sending traffic to their sites. Privacy, additional policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

Re: Ebay and my experiences at work....

Thank you for a wonderfully detailed and insightful posting!

: My colleagues and I found our workload
: unmanageable after a while and have since
: had to relinquish these duties in favour of

While I hate to see people ripped off on eBay, I also look at it from the other perspective, too.

These buyers are people who are making risky purchases buying from sellers they don't know. The world is a big place and there is only so much that those of us in the know on watches -- or even eBay themselves -- can do to help protect the millions of uninformed, incautious and downright stupid people out there from their own bad decisions.

Certainly, I would like to see these sellers shut down. But the reality is they are like cockroaches. You stomp one and two more appear. As you experienced, it becomes an endless amount of work with no rewards other than personal gratification and an occasional thank you from someone you saved from their own folly.

I myself greatly appreciate a good deal when I buy a watch. But the lengths some buyers will go to in time, effort and risk trying to be an ultra-cheap buyer of an expensive luxury item are astounding. So I have a limited amount of sympathy and pity for those that went to so much effort, only to have outsmarted themselves into a bad purchase by ignoring sensibility and safety in favor of an incredibly low price.

I will gladly help anyone who asks. But I gave up long ago expending effort on trying to be a guardian angel protecting the masses of people who are making foolish purchases or a superhero trying to shut down the criminals taking advantage of others.

Messages In This Thread

Ebay and my experiences at work....
Re: Ebay and my experiences at work....
there are groups that do this and it works
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE