The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

Counterfeit Watchers Discussion Forum

A forum for identifying and avoiding wholly or partially non-authentic wristwatches -- including counterfeit, replica, Frankenwatches and other fake or bastardized pieces. Our objective here is to DISCOURAGE the sales and purchase of counterfeit wristwatch and jewelry products. It is also for helping people identify watches that are mostly authentic, but have been: altered for personal customization, repaired with inappropriate parts or modified to be passed off as more valuable pieces.

Including a photo of the piece you are talking about ALWAYS helps! You can learn how to post a photo here: How To Include Photos In Your Postings. 'For sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Links to Internet auctions are acceptable only if their purpose is to question the authenticity of a product or provide new clues for identifying counterfeit products. Links that appear to be 'shills' promoting the sale of counterfeit products will be deleted. Links to websites of sellers of counterfeit items are not permitted -- we know they are out there and do not need to be encouraging them by sending traffic to their sites. Privacy, additional policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

eBay is safe - just do some homework before you buy.
In Response To: Re: Interesting Website ()

When I bought on eBay, I did the following:

1. Check the seller's credentials - amount of positive feedback and how long have they been a member.

2. Communicate clearly in terms of what is included when you buy the watch (box, tags, pictogram, etc). I actually don't trust the warranty card because it is blank by default, unless the watch was bought from an AD (authorized distributor). In any case, I think it would be a challenge for a counterfeiter to reproduce the serial number across the watch itself, the movement number and model of the watch on the pictogram card, the watch serial number matching on the hang tag, etc. If all that is included, it definitely reinforces the fact that the watch is genuine. Verify the model number on Omega's site.

3. I emailed Omega customer support for the serial number behind the lug to verify it on their end. They responded back and I actually printed out that email and keep it with the manual as further proof of its legitimacy.

4. I know it's not a true indicator, but newer Omega's have the small engraving of the Omega logo on the caseback. Also, the red dot would be a bonus (indicating that the caseback was never opened since it left Omega). Every little bit helps, especially when talking about newer models.

By doing the above, I saved over 50% off the retail cost. Definitely saved over "grey market" sites such as watchclick.com, etc.

Of course, if you go to a solid internet dealer like Bernard Watch, you'll save as well - if you're looking for a lightly used watch.

If you want new, I'd stick with a local AD in your area, but don't expect more than 20%.

Good luck!

: I'm looking at purchasing a watch on ebay at the moment; rather
: than start a new thread, are board members able to pass on any
: more tips on what to look for and what sort of questions to ask
: the seller? Many thanks for the help.

: - Bryan

Messages In This Thread

Ebay safe?
Re: Ebay safe?
Interesting Website
Re: Interesting Website
eBay is safe - just do some homework before you buy.
Re: eBay is safe - just do some homework before you buy.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE