The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Relume ?
In Response To: Relume ? *PIC* ()

: I came across an older post discussing relume. Very informative
: with divers opinions. I like my old Carrera a lot with its aged
: condition yet I have this urge to restore it to its former
: glory. Firstly I live in Sydney and have no idea if there are
: reliable people to do such work here, If any one could recommend
: some one that is able to do it justice. Secondly should I do it
: ? I'm considering relume, fixing the hands and possible a
: polish. Yes I know its rhetorical, Its just that I have such
: mixed feelings. Any and all feed back would be greatly
: appreciated. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

: Regards Kendall

If you are going to relume, I'd consider just getting the hands done - at some point, that lume is going to fall out of those hands and potentially end up in the movement. Getting a nice line of lume on the markers of these is hard and it looks terrible if the lume is blobby.

Secondly, polishing. The top surface of a gen 3 Carrera is not polished, it is radially brushed. We have seen these mirror polished (as it is the easiest refinishing option) and it doesn't look right.

Third, and lastly, think about looking for a replacement dial. Moisture has gotten to this one and affected the chatoyancy effect - have a look at http://www.calibre11.com/cotes-de-geneve/ to see that.

Messages In This Thread

Relume ? *PIC*
Re: Relume ?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE