The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Advice on Winding & Accuraccy

Perhaps some remember my first post was in early May when my father-in-law gifted me an old very worn Heuer Model 1163 GMT. The crystal was so scratched one could hardly see through it and nearly all the markings on the bezel were worn off. Unfortunately I could not find anybody locally here in northeast Indiana to work on such a complex timepiece. So I sent it off to WatchRepair.net in Florida. Although it took nearly 3 months it appears like they did an amazing job. It seemed they had trouble finding the right bezel. However on Friday when it returned it was absolutely stunning and looks like a new watch. I was a bit concerned though because it was not running. Not to worry though I wound it a bit and it started. However I really do not know just how much to wind and am concerned about over winding. I confess I am ignorant and out of touch with such beautiful time pieces as most of my adult life has been centered around $30 throw-away quartz watches. Could some one be kind enough to offer a bit of advice on winding the watch. The watch is still running from initial winding of a few days ago but seems to loose about 10 minutes a day. That does not seem right. What should I expect in terms of accuracy and longevity from a full wind? Thank you in advance.

Messages In This Thread

Advice on Winding & Accuraccy
Advice from an Amateur
Re: Advice from an Amateur
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE