|The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.|
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
I have first pre-carrera 2447 chronograph. It's version with white tachymeter dial and radium hands. Sorry, I can't attached my pics now, cause watch in service, but I will do it's later. I took this picture from OTD:
My 2447 so far from best condition (I'm serious!), but for me it's still very important watch.
1. Bad dial (there is nothing to be done about it);
2. Hour and minute hands - radium is out;
3. Second hand - "tail" is out;
4. Wrong crown;
5. Crystal is broken;
6. Operating lever (8140) is broken;
So why am I telling you all this? First, I wanted to share my find with all of you. I'm really excited! Secondly, I need your advice:
1. I'm 99,9% sure that finding a dial for this watch in nice condition is impossible? I'm right? (if only I were wrong, if only!)
2. Is it possible to find new or used correct blue h/m hands with radium? I used ebay and google and find only tritium hands. And not blue, only black, silver etc. Perhaps it’s just worth leaving the "empty" original hands?
3. Is it possible to find the original second hand with the right tail? On all the arrows that I found the wrong tail. Similarly - wrong color / shape, etc.
4. In all the photos of this model that I saw there is an unsigned crown. Can I find the original crown? How can I do this, given that it is unsigned? Maybe I should look for the noname crown by exact sizes or how?
5. The situation with original crystal, I think, simillar to the situation with the dial? It's impoosible to find?
6. A problem with the lever in this broken part. I didn't find this little part in the Valjoux 23/72 specification. I understand correctly that I can't buy this item separately from the lever?
I would be grateful for any advice.