The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
some opinions.....
In Response To: Proper watch storage? ()

: "I tend to rotate the watches I wear and often
: they might sit on the winder 45 days before
: they are worn. I have both vintage and
: re-edition Heuers. Are there different
: procedures for vintage and new watches?"

imo, yes. vintage i feel don't do as well running on winders all the time. i like to let them wind down and only wind them when i wear them. it certainly won't hurt them to sit for awhile and it will extend their time before they need an overhaul.

: "Can someone tell me the correct storage
: procedure to maintain good mainspring
: condition and good oil viscosity?"

i think you'll find different opinion on this issue even from master watchmakers. the reason i say this is i ask every watchmaker i use and they all have given me different opinions on this and i will also say all have given their reasoning behind their opinions. more on this later.

"Should
: watches be allowed to run down periodically
: for the mainspring to not have memory
: effect? What is the longest a watch should
: sit without running?"

i wind mine once a month. i feel that this is enough to evenly distribute the oils. the newer oils don't pool as quickly as the old stuff, so it's not a major issue, imo. as new watches sit in stores unwound for years sometimes. i still like to wind them up once a month though.

"Any help is appreciated."

so in the end i have no real definite answers for you, but i hope that helped?:)

j.h.

:

Messages In This Thread

Proper watch storage?
some opinions.....
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE