The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
iMac 17": 1440 x 900, PowerBook/iBooks: 1024x768.

Quick Survey -- What's Your Screen Resolution ? ? Posted By: Jeff Stein Date: 12/16/05 14:14 GMT

what screen resolution are you currently using? some of the more common setting are as follows:

• 800 by 600
  • 1024 by 768
  • 1152 by 864
  • 1280 by 960

to check or change your Screen Resolution setting, on a PC, go to Control Panel, then Display, then click the "Settings" tab, then go to the "Screen Resolution" control (sliding bar).

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, for me and my current machines, I have the following screen sizes: My 17" iMac has a 1440x900 pixel resolution, while my 12" PowerBooks have a 1024x768 resolution.

When sizing photo's for posting on the web, some pixel widths I commonly use are: 1280, 1024, 800 (all of these sizes are good for desktop wallpapers on various monitors), 740 (which is about the maximum usable width on a 800 pixel wide screen when you take into account scroll bars and the like), 640 (another standard screen size), 430 (the maximum usable width of my .blog), 320 (half of 640 for side by side presentation), and 100 which is the size of the thumb in my signature that I post in the bottom of a message.

Generally, if you wish to make allowances for scroll bars and the like you need to account for a minimum of about 30 pixels to a maximum of 60 pixels. I used to make all of my posts 610 wide, for example because that way people using older 640 pixel wide displays wouldn't have to scroll horizonally to view the entire post. I've since moved up to 640 pixels wide because I don't think many people are using 10 year old displays any more and then I can use the 640 wide scans which means one less size of scan I have to maintain on my site.

Another consideration is people using photos for nefarious purposes. Any one of us can post high resolution scans of watches or manuals on the web of such quality that people could print out copies on to suitable paper stock and product manuals that would be difficult to discern from originals. So one should take that into mind when making available such scans.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE