The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
SomeThoughts®...
In Response To: Monza ()

Hi guys - am new to this forum and hope my quetion isn't tooo dumb. Can anyone tell me about the Heuer Monza CR2111 replica - I have a speedmaster pro at the mo and am tempted by the Monza. Many thanks

The only dumb questions are those not asked... This is not one of them.

The Monza Classic "Re-Issue"... Well, It's not a re-issue or re-edition of any Heuer ever made. The Monza uses one of two movements: the "Calibre 36" uses a variant of the venerable and highly respected Zenith El-Primero movement, the other models utilize a ETA 2892-A2 with a Dubois-Depraz Chronograph module not much different than a Speedmaster Automatic Reduced, which you are probably familiar with being a fellow Moonwatch owner. The case is unlike anything TAG-Heuer or the previous Heuer firm has made. It's basically a new watch that for some reason TAG-Heuer decided to call a classic Heuer name and put into their Classic line.

The new Monza is unlike previous TAG-Heuer classics, like the Carrera and Monaco re-editions, and even the more recent Autavia, because in those instances, TAG-Heuer started with models that closely approximated an example of an original Heuer chronograph and then expanded on those models or similar models from there. Some of the previous Classics are pretty close approximations, especially the Carrera, others are adaptions as best as can be done with movements which are available today.

The ETA/DD movement is being used by a large number of firms these days as other popular movements are being discontinued or their availability to heretofore available movements such as the Lemania 1873 and 5100 as well as ETA/Valjoux 7750 movements. Lemania was bought out by Swatch Group over a year ago and it seems that the 5100 has been discontinued, and the rest of Lemania's output is restricted to Swatch Group firms except for a select few extremely high end watch firms. The continued availability of the ETA/Valjoux 7750 and even the ETA/DD movements have recently been put in doubt because of statements that Swatch Group will no longer sell base ebauches to non-Swatch Group firms starting in approximately five years. What effect this will have on non-Swatch Group users of these movements is unknown at this time. It may be that firms will (żbe able to?) purchase more finished versions of existing ETA movements. Or they may be able to use/purchase movements sold by other firms. Or they may be forced to develop movements on their own, revive "dead" movements, or band together to form another movement maker. It's really an unsettled sea in Switzerland these days, or at least it may soon be.

As for the Monza itself, if you like the styling that's certainly a plus. Personally I don't care much for the ETA/DD chronograph module movement. I've written about it in passing here. The El-Primero is a magnificent movement, and the Calibre or No. 36 variant of the movement seems to be very good implementation of the venerable El-Primero design.

I personally haven't heard of any problems with either version, but admittedly, I haven't read many owner's comments either. My recommendation as always is to try one on your wrist for fit and feel (as well as a sample representative of other possibilities)... While it's on your wrist consider all of the places/times/events you and the watch will share in your life's... Births, Funerals, Weddings, Graduations, Work, Play, etc. There are few things in life that are in such close contact with you as your watch... Which one best fits your needs your lifestyle and tastes should be the one you buy... Buy for yourself, not for anyone else.

I hope this helps...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Messages In This Thread

Monza
SomeThoughts®...
Re: SomeThoughts®...
Congratulations on the new watch!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE