The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Guy's Guy's Guy's! I'm not someone, I'm Chuck!

Fraken Hamilheuer just went for $1300.00 *LINK*

Posted By: Doug Sprott

Date: 1/12/07 03:34 GMT

Someone just bought a fraken Heuer Carrera with a Hamilton dial and movement .

Guy's Guy's Guy's! I'm not someone, I'm Chuck!

I'd've thought that my eBay login name was reasonably obvious!

I wonder if it will show up for sale with a new dial ???

The answer to that would be no...

First off, I don't do that sort of thing.

Secondly, I have a cousin who collect's Hamiltons, and of all my watches his current favorite is this one:

Compare:

If I decide I don't want it, chances are my cousin will want it. Actually, I probably shouldn't let him see it! But I might be able to arrange a swap for this one:

(yeah, I bought that one off of eBay for him a couple years back) and cash for the one I just bought...

Does anyone know who got it ?

I know, Jeff knows, juko suspects (at the very least)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220068447912&rd=1&rd=1

What Makes You Think It's a Franken ? ? ?

Posted By: jeff stein

Date: 1/12/07 04:11 GMT

In Response To: Fraken Hamilheuer just went for $1300.00 *LINK* (Doug Sprott)

it may be a Franken and it may be genuine.

Well, we know that Heuer has made watches for other manufacturers...

I also own a Zodiac that is nigh identical to the Heuer immediately above.

as a Franken, it's probably worth as least $1,300 (in my estimation); if it's genuine, then I put the estimate at the $1,800 to $2,000 level.

I know that the Heuer dialed version of the Carrera is a legitimate $3,600-4,200 watch in today's market. I know because I have been the first and second runner up on at least 3-5 eBay auctions where I've been in the $3,600-4,000 range. Notably more than any other watch I've ever bid on.

I figure a genuine Hamilton model is worth about half the amount this model Heuer Carrera would fetch: $1,800-2,000.

I figure a Franken HamiHeuer is still probably worth about a third what that model Carrera would fetch: $1,200-1,333.33 either in parts or as a whole.

I have good reasons to think it's possible this watch is genuine. The seller, while in South America, has a 100% feedback over 250+ transactions.

I know I'd kick myself if I let it slip away at even $1,400 or $1,500.

Remember the Stein Point?

I know I would kick myself if I had let this one pass at $1,400 or $1,500 and probably even $1,600. I determined my Stein point, had consulted with Jeff prior to bidding. And went ahead.

I call it a fantastic buy at $1,300

I know I had seen similar model Hamiltons a couple of years back and they were going for $900+ back then. And then the herd thinned to transparency. So I watched and waited.

Thanks for the happy thoughts.

Might the winner be willing to step forward and identify himself / herself??

I think he just did!

Jeff

nice watch, why did Hamilton..........

Posted By: juko

Date: 1/12/07 08:14 GMT

In Response To: What Makes You Think It's a Franken ? ? ? (jeff stein)

let this kind of watches made by Heuer? or should we wait for the buyer?

Well... It would seem that Heuer had a certain amount of production, sales channel, and overhead to meet. If they produced/purchased large quantities of components and didn't have the sales necessary to use up all of the movements, or if other firms wanted to offer similar models, but didn't have the production capacity, or if other firms had distribution/sales channels that Heuer didn't it would seem that Heuer would be happy to be a source for Build to Order chronographs for other firms.

The previous paragraph is speculation/guesswork/intuitive reasoning, but not canon fact by any means.

If you look through the "Poor-Man's Heuer" section of OTD you'll see many watches which are nigh identical, some which are close, some which are merely similar.

juko

Guys, this was fun. Do any of you want to out yourselves so we can pick apart your bidding and decision-making processes?

What I want to know is Who STOLE this 510.503! If I had known I would have gotten the Hami at the price I did, I probably would have bid on that beautiful Pewter 5100! $735!!!! In today's market that's at least Grand Theft Lemania!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE