The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: French Made Heuer Diver signed "Monnin"

Regarding the red 24 hour numeral Heuer Divers, many of which are labelled MADE IN FRANCE, and "Monnin" -

I too have become interested in these, and am wearing a quartz one, for example. Aside from the MADE IN FRANCE aspect, the Monnin connection and the prototype/put-together appearance of some of these is interesting I think. As an example, mine has a sterilized back but is stamped 844 rather crudely. "Monnin" does not appear on mine, likely due to the sterilization. Mine and others I have seen have a plain crown. The quartz does not say "MADE IN FRANCE" on the dial, but does say "METRES" and "PROFESSIONEL" as opposed to anglicized versions of that.

If you look at the 1979 and 1980 catalog scans that Chuck Maddox has posted, you can see this watch and variants.

So, in my investigation of this, Chuck was kind enough to e-introduce me to Hans Schrag, who was with Heuer for many years and very highly regarded restorer, if I understand it right. Below is what Hans wrote me - I am amazed at Hans' memory on this! Read on, from the true expert:

<<844 model was made for Heuer in 1979-80 in France by G. Monnin. This was the first trial run for Heuer into the divers watch market. Heuer did not think it would be worth while tooling up for something like that so they purchased already existing models in France. As you can see the divers watch market was very successful, that they started to gear up in 80 with swiss made movement. Here are the models made in France.

844 automatic--cal. FE 4611A
844 Quartz " FE unknown
1611 Chrono cal. Valjoux 7765
1529 " "
1614 " "

By the way your 844 Q is no longer repairable-- there are no parts for this model left.

Regards, Hans>>

So, I hope that is of interest and help -
Bill

<<844 model was made for Heuer in 1979-80 in France by G. Monnin. This was the first trial run for Heuer into the divers watch market. Heuer did not think it would be worth while tooling up for something like that so they purchased already existing models in France. As you can see the divers watch market was very successful, that they started to gear up in 80 with swiss made movement. Here are the models made in France.

844 automatic--cal. FE 4611A
844 Quartz " FE unknown
1611 Chrono cal. Valjoux 7765
1529 " "
1614 " "

By the way your 844 Q is no longer repairable-- there are no parts for this model left.

Regards, Hans>>

Hope that is of interest to everyone...
Bill

: I had and sold one. My research turned up
: little other than yes, it was really a
: Heuer,interesting because of its connection
: to the House of Monnin(?sp) , but of no
: particular value as opposed to the same or
: similar divers. Anybody know differently so
: you can make a grown man cry??

: Jack

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE