The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Is J. Seinfeld, the Robert Culp of Chronographs?

Breitling Boys in Denial / What About the Racers? Posted By: jeff stein Date: 10/26/07 12:21:05 GMT

In Response To: Actually Mr. Seinfeld owns... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

yep . . . as a Porsche guy, and a McQueen guy, one would have thought that he would be a Heuer guy.

I posted these screen shots on another forum, and learned that Seinfeld is known to be (or thought to be) a Breitling guy.

Mr. Seinfeld is sort of the "Robert Culp" of Chronographs... You're all probably saying "Bucka-Wha? Chuck?"... Perhaps I should explain...

In the early 1980's Mr. Culp starred in the TV Series "Greatest American Hero". While I never watched the show I had a number of friends who did, some of those friends were also Gun Collector's [as I was and am]... Mr. Culp played an FBI agent in the show and I had it on good authority from my friends that in every episode he carried a different flavor of Colt .45 Autoloading Pistol. One episode it'd be a Standard Blued Colt Government model, the next Episode he'd be carring an Officer's model [shortened slide], the next an AMT Hardballer [elongated slide and nickel plating], etc. Throughout the run of the show, Mr. Culp never carried the same sidearm in any two episodes.

Maybe he wore them during his show.

I'm not a huge fan of the show, to be honest [another show which is seemingly popular, but just isn't "Must See" with me...]. But it is on at least two or three times a day on the local Fox affilate and with TBS and other similar stations being carried by Comcast Cable I can say he always seems to be wearing a Big Chronograph of some sort [Lots of Breitlings] and the chronograph he's wearing changes quite often.

So you can imagine that the Breitling boys were in denial about this Autavia.

I'm sure it's possible there's a Breitling model which looks like an Autavia. It also wouldn't surprise me if he has cast his net's further afield. After all, we here are fond of saying that one heightens one's appreciation of Brand H by owning a few Brand O's, Brand Z's, Brand G's and Brand L's if you get my meaning.

Still, by the end of the day yesterday, after studying JohnK's higher resolution screen shots, there was consensus that this is a vintage Autavia.

The consensus amoung whom? Not the Breitling crowd was it?

So tell me, has anyone ever seen a racer wearing a Breitling?

I can't say I have.

I assume that some racers wore them; I just can't recall seeing such photos.

I assume and recall the same as you Jeff. I assume some do wear them, but I can't point to one.

Jeff

Cheers and Good Hunting!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE