The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Lets hear about your worst watch repair experience

Here is my worst watch repair experience ever – top this:
In late January of 2008 I posted a note on a Yahoo watch repair group board asking for someone who could machine some stainless backs and install a glass or mineral crystal in up to 30 backs. I received only 2 replies and 1 backed out. The offer came from John DiDonato at Farfo on 1/25 to do 20 at a set price. I said I would prefer to have just one done to see how it looked. He agreed at a higher price and told me to send the payment with the back (1st red flag) but since I had seen his business name several times in the past I didn’t think it would be a problem. I also asked that it be competed by 4/1 so that I could use it for photos. So on 2/8 I sent the back and payment. Here is the timeline of the rest of the story:
2/13 – John receives the case but says the payment is not there. Later found in the packing.
2/14 to 2/17 – discussed crystal size, eventually settling on a 22mm size but only after he had put me off for nearly a month.
2/25 – in a discussion with one of my regular repair customers, I was informed that he had some pretty bad experiences with Farfo and would never do any business with him again (red flag #2). His assessment was: “he was a real ___* ___* all the way in the end.” *(Not for reprint in this forum).
3/17 – I asked at this point when I could expect a completion date since I had not heard from him.
3/26 – He says he has the parts and “it won’t be long now”.
3/31 – John informs me that during machining the case back buckled and that he need a case so he can “straighten it out” and refit the back (Red flag #3). I told him that did not make me have a warm fuzzy felling so far but that I would send the case.
4/3 – I sent the new case plus an old used case that used the same back (so he wouldn’t scratch the new one).
4/11 - Asked for an update.
4/14 – says he has the cases and is working on it now. Same day I replied “Good, in need them ASAP – this is holding up the entire project”. He replies that he can’t work any faster? I ask him again for a delivery date stating that “so far this has been a waste of my time and money”.
4/15 – he replies that “this has been a waste of my time and money also” and that he will send the case back plus my original payment.
4/21 – asked again if has shipped the case.
4/24 – he says he is looking for another back to fit the case and that if he doesn’t find it, he will ship it on Monday 4/28.
5/5 – sent another note stating that the case had not arrived yet.
5/6 – asked for my address.
5/8 – the case and my original payment refund arrive. NO backs of any kind included. No apology or explanation – nothing.
So in the end it was 3 months of wasted time and I ended up with a case with no back – something that I cannot replace as these are NOS cases from the 60s.
I don’t think I need to say anything more other than I would never even come close to treating one of my repair customers this way.
So lets here those bad watch repair experiences – there are probably some that would top this. Craig

Messages In This Thread

Lets hear about your worst watch repair experience
Re: Lets hear about your worst watch repair experi
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE