The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
These Watches Raise the Difficult Questions for Collectors
In Response To: Still alot to learn... ()

Shaun:

These types of watches also raise some difficult questions for collectors, and may induce a sort of vertigo / confusion.

Do I want to buy a watch (a) because it is super rare (even if it is not aesthetically appealing to me), (b) because it is the very first / origin of the species (even if I don't like the look), (c) because it belongs in the museum / archives / collection, (d) because it is a colorful variation of the beloved (and iconic) Carrera? I decided "no" to all of the above, and feel good about the decision (in view of the ending price). This one might have been fun for $500 to $1,000, but at closer to $3,000, I need more than the scarcity / origin-of-species / collectibility / oddity / colors . . . I really do want to like the watch!!

How do others look at these super rare guys, in terms of their own collections and themes?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: This is one that fooled alot of Heuer experts. Have to admit my
: first reaction was "franken" but then was not so sure
: as the dial did not look like the usual skipper dial - if you
: were doing a redial, why not do a carrera dial? But does look
: pretty crude. Maybe sometimes we should not be too confident in
: absolute truths about Heuer, as Heuer did alot of unexpected and
: random things. Need to keep an open mind... for example: the
: 1553 carrera with the deci internal bezel discussed in another
: message - are we sure it was not a one off order out of the
: Heuer factory?

: Great to still be learning, thanks for the info Jeff... BTW: what
: came first, this carrera skipper or the 2446 autavia cased one
: shown in AMH's book?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE