The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Vintage Rolex Forum / Interesting Approach to Sales Listings

The Vintage Rolex Forum is one of my favorite places, and there is a discussion today that I find interesting.

Yesterday, someone listed a watch for sale on the Vintage Rolex Market . . . an old Submariner for approx. $20,000.

In accordance with their policies, readers immediately posted messages on the "For Sale" thread, pointing out that the dial was either refinished or replaced . . . neither one an acceptable element for A submariner offered at this price. After a few polite posts, the Seller also responded politely and ended his "For Sale" listing.

Today, someone proposed that their should be a committee of three members, to "police" the Buy / Sell / Trade listings. Here is the response from the Moderator (Richard Carver):

We're all the "police" here... why limit it to just three? As you know, it's always been the policy of the VRF for all Members to point out flaws, errors, misrepresentations and mistakes. That's what happened to [a seller], it happened to a new seller Rene yesterday.

The situation with Rene was an almost perfect example of how the VRM works. He posted his watch, several Members politely pointed out what was wrong with the watch, Rene politely acknowledged the consensus on the watch and agreed with it.

By appointing three or however many uber experts the rest of the Membership might feel it would be impolitic to say something is wrong even though they know it is for fear of upsetting the overlords.

I want every Member to be "Police" just like it is now. If you see a someone questioning a part or watch jump in and confirm or deny. I don't care if there are 50 afterposts on an ad as long as the object is to keep the Market clean and safe.

The Vintage Rolex Forum and the Vintage Rolex Market are excellent resources, and the discussions over there are among the best of any watch forums. I thought that our readers might like to think about these issues and see Richard's message. Indeed, we are all "police" when we see sellers making errors, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Vintage Rolex Forum / Interesting Approach to Sales Listings
Re: Vintage Rolex Forum / Interesting Approach to Sales List
Re: Vintage Rolex Forum / Interesting Approach to Sales List
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE