The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
NOS Monaco- a word of warning

Some of you may have seen the auction of a NOS "never worn before" Monaco on Ebay. I've done a bit of digging and thought I'd share these thoughts with you.

I immediately recognised the pictures and text as being taken from Stewart Kay's sale a few months back of his Monaco- the new seller has simply added his own watermark to Stuart's photos. In fact, they haven't even bothered to change the text, and make reference to the auction of a Carrera Dato, which Stewart also sold as that the same time as his Monaco.

Stewart mentioned that the Monaco was sold to an Australian who intended to wear the watch rather than keep it in a safe....so how did the watch end up back in the US so quickly after the original sale? Its possible- as is the fact that the new price of US$10,000 is more than $2000 less than the winner paid a few months back- tough economic times...

Normally I'd just ignore the auction based on these warning signs, but the seller has what looks like a great feedback record, so anything is possible

I called and e-mailed the seller- ominously no answer on either. I tried e-mailing Stewart, but haven't received a reply

So, off to google where I found this discussion

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?s=d7645dea4d81d61d59b6f2282d0f34c9&t=63833

So, in conclusion- take care out there. I know that I won't be buying...

Cheers

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE