The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Bezel Removal - How did it go....?
In Response To: Re: Bezel Removal ()

Hi Ross,

I had my 11630 MH overhauled last year - including fitting of a "fair" condition used Bezel i got through this forum. I didn't actually realise at the time that the bezels on Autavia's had an aluminium insert - I had wrongly assumed it was a single piece..

More recently aftermarket inserts have appeared on for sale ebay - distinguishable from the originals by the missing drilled dot at "12".

Anyway - it was only when examining the old badly pitted example with a lens many months ago I realised it was a removable part.. It is a really snug fit but sure enough the old insert popped out from the outer ring using a watchmakers screwdriver. I noticed yellowish traces of what looked like glue on the back of the original insert - so it may be an idea to put a couple of tiny drops of loctite or similar to retain a new part.

I think Jarl may have been talking about "popping" the insert out from the ring whilst in situ - which may be the most straightforward way to go about it. As far as I know the actual bezel ring has a retaining spring that holds it onto the front of the watch.

Anyway do let us know how you get on - as I'm sure this is something many Autavia owners might be interested in.. Also - if this is one of the aftermarket inserts you are fitting - maybe you could tell us how well it compares to the old original..

Warren..

Messages In This Thread

Bezel Removal
Re: Bezel Removal
Re: Bezel Removal
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE