The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mysterious Autavia with Cal.15

Hello tiga,

Well, I think this is a genuine and authentic Heuer Autavia. Looks indeed very strange but the overall look and detail gives me a comfortable feeling. However this could be some kind of a prototype or a model with some very very low production. Ofcourse this is my personal opinion and I do not pretend it to be the only truth.

I was also present at the first Heuer Collectors Summit in May 2008. When we were visiting the workshop where they handle/service the vintage watches there was a little "Presentation showroom" where some vintage Heuer watches were shown. Between those watches there was exactly thesame Autavia exposed as yours, so I think you can be pretty sure about originality.

Here are two pictures of that "Presentation showroom" I'm talking about (also David already mentioned this ofcourse). The pictures are not very good but if you have a good eye you can see exactly thesame caliber 15 Autavia dating from 1978, just above at the right side from the McQueen Monaco.

I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend,
Abel.

: I get the watch 4 weeks ago, from collector here in Zurich
: Switzerland. Tag Heuer confirm the Originality. What is it?
: Something like a prototype? Ref is 1163 !?.

: Here is the watch:
:
:
: strange sign on the back
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE