The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Case material indicated in the reference number

Hi all.

Not wishing to totally hijack Timothy's Camaro thread, but also because I think it's worthy of standing by itself, I'll repeat the tip for checking whether the reference number matches the case material here in its own thread (along with a bit more info on the gold used in the plated models thanks to Arno's post):

For everyone, there's a helpful hint in the model references for a while around the end of the 60s and through a large part of the 70s. It's not a hard and fast rule by any means but it might help if you're on the spot and faced with something unfamiliar:

Reference ends 3 - case is stainless steel

Reference ends 5 - case is 16K 20-micron gold-plated. Caseback is steel

Reference ends 8 - case is 18K gold. Caseback is also 18K gold

It's a loose rule, granted, but if it helps someone make the right decision or better yet avoid the wrong decision, then I hope it's worth pointing out! Earlier solid gold Heuers also used 14K gold but by the time this numbering convention was in place, they should all be 18K. Some earlier Heuers were gold-filled (a different process than electroplating) but this had dropped out of use (by Heuer at least) by the time these references were used.

Mark

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE