The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 1864 or 1860?
In Response To: 1864 or 1860? ()

Interesting question Jarl.

The modern catalogues make no mention of 1864 at all and nor does the virtual museum.

The text for 1860 does change from saying Edouard Heuer opened a watchmaking workshop in 1860 to saying he founded a watchmaking company. I wonder whether that is the difference - 1860 was the foundation of the workshop and maybe the company as such was only formally incorporated four years later perhaps? Though the 1860 date does seem to be attributed for the foundation of the company now too. I guess the older the better when you're a Swiss watchmaking company.

What does annoy me in the post-TAG brochures though, is the attribution of everything to TAG-Heuer rather than Heuer. With no mention of the time machine that would allow them to do that, which you would think would be most worthy of mention... ;)

Messages In This Thread

1864 or 1860?
Re: 1864 or 1860?
I Have Also Puzzled Over This, and May Have Seen 1863
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE