The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: A coulpe of nuggets from the Bay

That's the Ernest Hemingway big-game hunter Limited Edition unless I'm much mistaken, isn't it? ;) I like the dial actually, but would be looking for a big discount for its condition.

:

On this one, I particularly like how "Heuer", after deciding to break with hundreds of years of tradition and use a brass case (without PVD coating), then used a steel crown.

I imagine the discussions went something like the following -
"Ah. Now we've used brass for the case, do we have any brass crowns?".
"Nope, but just use a steel one, no-one will notice".
"Really? But it doesn't suit the case at all, and totally doesn't match the cut-out for the crown?".
"Yep, not a problem, I can't see that this will ever be discussed in the future on something yet to be invented that will be called the Internet". "Well, ok then, if you're sure".
"Guys, I'm designing the dial and I can -just- fit "Automatic Chronograph" on there, but the alignments are going to look like nothing used on any of our other dials. And it, errr, kind of looks exactly like a dial Waltham used in precisely this same case".
"Ah, don't worry, I'm sure that won't be picked up on in the future and used to reasonably question the authenticity of the watch".
"Really? .....really? Ok then, I'll go with it".

Looks like those Heuer workshops were a fun place to be! ;)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE