The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: 40 years ago...
In Response To: Re: 40 years ago... ()

I do love Speedies. If I didn't collect Carreras, it's probably the model I would have turned to. And your examples are all fine watches, as is Stew's recent posting of the white/black dial moon landing version.

But, and there was always a but coming there, I find them very confusing. With the Carreras, I felt if I chipped away long enough, I was always going to get the variations nailed. I'm not sure the same would be true of the Speedies.

Some of the special editions I find a bit silly or ultimately lacking in taste too - Snoopy? Moon to Mars legibility? Though I have to confess having to consider long and hard whether or not to get an Alaska project!

Probably in part, I'm worried that buying one Speedmaster would open a whole can of worms for a vertical collector like me! Maybe it's something for when I consider the Carrera collection complete, if that time ever comes...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE