The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Beware of fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay

Check out e-bay Item #170361424365. Sorry I don't know how to post a direct link to it. I had asked the seller about the strange chrono seconds hand in his first photo since it had a strange "tail" with a big round luminous dot on its opposite end. He said it really wasn't there and was some kind of reflection in the picture. He promised to send me a new picture showing it didn't exist. Instead, he posted a new photo in his auction listing. Lo and behold, he copied a picture from www.yorktime.com of a previously sold Hamilton! (check it out yourself) He also modified a second pic from that site, of the signed crown (he changed the background). You'll notice the crown is thinner on the yorktime watch (which is correct) and that the hour and minute hands on his original posted watch photo are not in as good a condition as the yorktown example. Looks like a pretty fraudulent listing to me. I reported this to e-bay so we'll see what happens.
The reason I had checked this listing out in the first place was because Darwin (a forum participant here) had expressed interest in acquiring such a watch and had admired mine in a previous OTD posting. I was going to alert him to the watch until I discovered the inconsistencies in the e-bay listing. Well buddy, don't bid on this watch. I will let you know if I do see another, more legitimate example in the future, though. I think the e-bay first time seller is trying to pull a fast one on unsuspecting bidders.

Messages In This Thread

Beware of fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Update: fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Re: Update: fishy smelling Hamilton chrono-matic on e-bay
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE