The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My detailed thoughts on the watch

The dial is certainly refinished to my eyes. It is pretty obvious even from the low res pictures.

However, for me that is not the issue. I seriously considered buying this one as I have access to a 1950's v72 dial which would match the hands on the watch. I thought this is obviously a redial, so people will avoid, and I could get it cheaply and match up with the replacement dial.

But then I did a bit of research into the case. The problem for me was that the hand style was from the 1950s Heuers. But the case had rectangular pushers, which I had not seen before on a 1950's watch, other than on the triple date or moonphase style watches. I checked through the Heuer catalogs from the 1950/1960s and couldn't find any watch at all of this style with rectangular pushers. The only watches I could see with this style of case were in the 1940's catalogs.

I hate it when people say that just because a watch is not in a catalog it is a fake, we all have seen many weird and wonderful combinations of hands and dials that came out of the Heuer production line but were not in the catalog.

HOWEVER, we also have to be reasonable, and totally random cross era combinations did not come out of Heuer (eg: a 2446 era dial in a 1970's 11630 style case). So my conclusion is that the watch was not from the 1950's/early 1960's era that I had a dial for an so I did not buy it.

In terms of authenticity I would say this:
- it is not from the 1940s era as the hands style is from a later period
- it is not from the late 1950s/early 1960s as the case is from an earlier period.

The the question is: is there a lost generation of hybrid Heuers which were made in the early 1950's not covered by the catalogs on onthedash? I don't know. But if they exist, why have we never seen these hybrid 40s/60s models? Certainly the 1940s models and late 1950s models are pretty common.

So that was the conclusion of my research on this watch. I did not bid.

regards
Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE