The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Tag Heuer Carrera 1964?
In Response To: Re: Tag Heuer Carrera 1964? ()

: So here a few more details I found out:
: The number at the bottom lugs - the model number - is: 73623
: The number at the top lugs - the serial number - is: 173984

: And as I already mentioned the movement is a Lemania 7736.

Thanks Philipp.

That clears one thing up - the 7736 is a Valjoux movement, rather than a Lemania.

And the serial number puts it pretty much smack bang in the middle of the 1969-71 timescale I surmised in my original post.

The serial number fits in precisely with Heuer's numbering schematic for other 7736-powered watches:

The 736 indicates the movement that is inside the watch - in this case, the Valjoux 7736. Heuer was also using the 7733 (two registers) and 7734 (two registers with date), all following on from the 7730, which itself was a lightly remodelled Venus 188!! The world of watch movements can be a confusing one, but it's often interesting too.

The 3 indicates that the case is steel, rather than gold (8) or gold-plated (5).

And the 2 indicates what series the watch belongs to. If your watch had been a Carrera, this number would have been 5, for example. The catalogue page below shows some of the other Heuer 7736 watches:

The fourth watch from the left in this photo below is my 73655 Carrera - a 7736-powered Carrera, but in a gold-plated case and with champagne dial:

Now, the series number used on the watches I linked originally is also 2, so this ties in with my initial feeling that this was indeed the case style used on your watch:

So it looks as if your watch may indeed be a Valjoux 7736 version of these 7733 watches that we were previously unaware of, but I need to do some more digging around price lists and things to be sure. As mentioned below, Heuer was making similar watches for other manufacturers as well and it would be interesting to know what model reference those watches have.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE