The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Dictionaries are Like Watches ? ? ?

If You guys can read it.. Alittle more on and about watches. Was posted for my vintage race group. A few guys could not figure out whats all the fuss about watches, Time? all thay needed was there cell phones.. So this was my Watch wisdom for them:
Why a watch at all .. What do mechanical watches fulfill?;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why a watch at all .. What do mechanical watches fulfill?;
This is for some of the posts here that wonder whets all the fuss.
I maybe out on a limb here & I mean no neg harm. There is a saying if "I have to explain you wouldn't understand" Let me try a bit in my bad English grammar
Not in any particular order:

*1st;- A Mechanical watch which deviates by 30 seconds per day(86,400 seconds) errs by only 0.035% .In Positive terms its 99.965% accurate - A degree of accuracy that FAR exceeds anything achieved by hand made mechanical machines. That's 30 seconds a day. I as a regulator and others can make watches under 1 second a day. in all positions & temps..

**(2nd;- A good Mechanical watch is still made by human hands.
What do mec. watches fulfill? Everybody needs to be in touch with human culture.
This is so important today to me at least, because we live in such a technologically advanced environment. A watch Beats like a heart. A watch is Stable and endures It can be handed down for generations with all its memories. "This stands in Sharp Contrast to the Disposable world we live in today".

***3erd;- Look at a good movement ... the Balance the part that goes tick tock. It beats like a human heart, It immediately expresses that of a living organism. At the same time a watch is a thing of beauty, Craftsmanship, labor applied to finishing and decorating something as simple as a Micro screw! One can realize that watch is also a piece of Art. Watches make folks feel good when they buy them and where them. You can change a watch and change your mood as driving your different cars ect.

****4th;- to sum up: in the 70s the mec watch was all but over with the Cheap Quarts watches. some 30+ years later the Swiss watch industry is stronger than ever. This shows there a strong emotional connection between a mechanical watch and Humans.

In a world of fast times, fast consumption, it pays "homage to the Human Hand". Its is with you for all your days and nights, its heart beat is like yours, it represents your personality. You take it with you where ever you go. Its a place of certainty and comfort while being on a magical journey through 15 generations , 100s of years of history.....
Watches are Art- Science, history and more for the Generations.
I better go......
Tick tock Crew
PSB Accutime
Thanks
Peter Batagios
These 2 photos show a movement still used today and my old S.Steel one from just after WW2.
Attached Images

Today's wisdom is from Samuel Johnson: "Dictionaries are
: like watches: the worst is better than none, and the best cannot
: be expected to go quite true."

: Johnson's dictionary, from 1775, is discussed here --
: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8255720.stm

: Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Dictionaries are Like Watches ? ? ?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE