The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Cal 11 / 12 winding question

I have worked on a lot of cal 11 or 12 movements in the past but I rarely wear any of them (crown is on the wrong side - right?), so I have a question about the winding of this movement (cal 11 in this case). This may have been covered here before but I have not seen it. I have always given the crown a couple of twists to get it started and it will keep running as long as I am wearing it.
I customer recently contacted me and said - "The watch will not run as an automatic. That is it fails to run more then 15-20 seconds when it is gently shaken and rocked back and forth. It does however run when manually wound. What can be done to correct this."
I told him to manually wind it a few turns and it should keep running if worn. I did check the micro rotor operation when I serviced it and it was working. I said I would post the question to others who are more familiar than I about use of this movement on a regular basis. Thanks for your input. Craig

Messages In This Thread

Cal 11 / 12 winding question
Re: Cal 11 / 12 winding question
Non-technical observations
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE