The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Photographic Set Up - Lesson 2

After a great response by the forum members to my last post on watch photography I thought I would add to the subject with a working example.
I was asked to take some record shots of a Monaco. Record being a true and acurate representation of the subject. So, no fancy background or props just a clear and sharp image of the watch.

I explained in my last post that I use natural light and reflectors. I use this area in my house by the front door.

The windows next to the front door have a frosting film over the glass and they are facing south west (afternoon sunlight in the northern hemisphere). This gives an excellent even light. There is also a window at the back of the worksurface and the walls on either side are white. So, good even light comming in and being bounced around (diffused) by the white walls. The working height of the surface is very handy and makes the set up less troublesome for the back.

The set up is best explained by the following picture.

As you can see I have various sizes of aluminium foil line cards. (The two on the left against the wall are not part of the set up). Another great tip: a ball of bluetack is essential for propping up a card, holding things in place and other applications too numerous to mention. By the way, bluetack is a UK term for a blue (or white) putty like material used to temporarily fix a picture to a wall amongst other things. I am not sure of the name of the product in other countries but you will find it in any stationary shop.

and here we have the final result.

A simple set up to achieve the required result.
I hope you enjoyed this and get some bluetack if you dont already have some lying around the house.

regards
Paul Gavin

Messages In This Thread

Photographic Set Up - Lesson 2
Re: Photographic Set Up - Lesson 2
Re: Photographic Set Up - Lesson 2
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE