The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Unusual Tag Heuer Super Professional Textured Case ? *PIC*

: Hi, have you got any better pics fella, i suspect its a custom
: mod-job?? but may be wrong.

: Regards, James.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't quite figure out how to upload multiple pics. I'd be happy to email pics to you or anybody else who wants to take a stab at this one. I've done a fair amount of horse trading in watches over the years and consider myself at least a notch above the amateur level. At first glance I thought the finish looked oddball and/or aftermarket. As I continue to scrutinize it, I don't see how a typical watch buyer would ever get the work done at the level of sophistication that seems to have gone into the finish. It is really consistent all around and doesn't show any tell-tale signs of amateur modification - one of the bracelet link end pieces was replaced at some point and it is of normal matte finish as these watches were normally finished (see upper left). I've included another image below....

Side note, I looked at the catalog scans from the 1986 Tag Heuer German catalog offerings. I spotted a wrist strapped timer that had a similar hammered looking finish.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE