The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Longines made in Heuer chronograph?

At first, hello to everybody, that place is extremely interesting for any Heuer like me, although I don't own any Heuer watch...at least officially.

I recently found soemthing interesting, a 7750 chrono branded Longines on the dial, but virtually equivalent to the '78-82 Montreal, here there are some pics:

[/QUOTE]

On WUS it came out that these watches were issued to the IAF in the 80s, but they're very scarce and all different in small details (dial of the Montreal or Pasadena, three different types of back etc...), I couldn't get much information about that, and they suggested to post here to ask some questions to the "experts".

1)The watch is marked Longines just on the dial, not on the bracelet, the backplate, or the rotor of the 7750, which is weird to me.

2) The bracelet itself looks like the Montreal in the 1978 catalogue therefore I assume it's original, but it seems that it changed through the years, is it possible to date a Montreal from teh type of bracelet?

3)The 7750 looks basic, probably the most basic 7750 I've ever seen: unadorned rotor, as already said, plastic reset lever, chromed balance wheel.

4) There isn't a serial number of the watch, just a 1040 reference number. At the beginning I thought it was the serial number, then it came out that it's the same for all the watches of this series, while the Montreal is 1010 or something like that.

My opinion is that the IAF historically chose Longines and they wanted to stay with this maison, but at that time they didn't have a sturdy "aviator" chrono in catalogue, therefore they asked Heuer to supply them a batch of redialed Montreal, we already know that Heuer accepted to make watches for small brands like Zodiac or Lajour therefore I assume they did the same but with a first class maison. Alternatively I've to assume that the Montreal and Pasadena weren't Heuer designs but they were built by Valjoux....any thoughts about it?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE