The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Monaco
In Response To: Monaco ()

Hi Ted,
Let me start by letting you know that manual wind 3 register blue Monaco's (73633B) have had a questionable history of authenticity when it comes to models that have anything other than white registers. The forum seems to mostly agree that the registers on these watches should only be white but there have been others that have beleived in the blue registers and even some that have received letters of authenticity from Tag Heuer. I'm not certain this issue has been fully resolved yet.
With that being said, the more time spent looking at this dial the more mistakes you are going to turn up. An instant glimpse allows me to tell you the Heuer sheild is of the wrong proportions, with too thin a script and incorrect lettering style. There is no lume dots present on the hour marks and the smaller steel hour markers present on the 2,4,8 & 10 positions are the wrong size, shape and texture.
My own opinion - there's already enough evidence to call this at best a re-dial but it couldin fact be something far more sinister (a copy).
The value of this particular item is in the sum of its remaining parts - case, movement, crystal, crown, pushers & hands (although there seems to be something odd with these hands also).
Check out a real example from the OTD photo reference :- http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/69.Monaco/c.Reference_73633/Reference_73633B_(Blue)/
Hope this helps you - Darren

-
-
-
-
: Hello All,

: I am wondering if this Monaco looks suspect to any of you. The logo
: on the dial doesn't seem correct.

:
: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150438810204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE