The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
OK, So Not the "Grail"; Maybe Everyman's Chronograph?

Agreed . . . I was overcome by my enthusiasm, and overreacted with the word "grail". By definition, the grails are near unattainable.

So if it's not a "grail", then I will be happy with a beautiful, reliable, well-built, reasonably-priced watch that evokes the romance / mystique of the original 1960's Carreras. It may not be the "grail" (Ferrari GTO), but I'll be thrilled if it turns out to be a watch for all the enthusiasts (maybe the Porsche 911). So let everyman walk into his nearest retailer and buy one of these Carreras. . . great for TAG-Heuer, great for the Carrera name; great for our community!

A couple of other notes: I'm happy with the deletion of the Tachy bezel; going back to its root, Carreras should not have these marked bezels . . . OK for the Autavias (or Speedmasters or Rolex Daytonas), but not for the Carreras. Textured registers are nice; can the contrasting ones be long in coming?

And a question: Is the classic tri-compax even a possibility with the new Cal 1887 movement, or am I dreaming?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hello Jeff, I agree this is a major breakthrough and does achieve a
: nice and delicate balance between nods to the vintage community,
: heritage and modern technology and trends.
: It has a very clean design and the dial is impressive.
: Still to go from here to the 'grail' status can be a very long and
: winding road, and often quite painful as well.
: I think this 'grailness' (as it were) can only be achieved in
: retrospective, and we think about it all of them from the
: Autavia to the Speedy 376.0822 (i.e. Chuck's grail) were quite
: disappointingly commercial failures at their times.
: Let's hope this is not going to be the case for the new Carrera!
: Cheers,
: Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE