The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Strange Carrera etc. - Are brand names really protected?

Dear all, the recent post about a strange Val.7750-powered watch that bears the 'Carrera' moniker on the dial has led me to reflect on the vaster topic of brand protection for the famous names of watches, like Carrera indeed or Speedmaster.
I assume that definitely a brand, even a large one like TH or Omega with the financial wherewithal of their parent companies, cannot make sure that they get the last word on intellectual property for whichever use of their iconic products. Not being a lawyer, I don't even know if this would be feasible anyway.

And in some cases, the most obvious ones that springs to mind being the Porsche Carrera, the name sharing can be beneficial for both objects and bring forth a sinergy, at least in the consumers' minds - here I specifically think about also some not-so-subtle pairing, like the Porsche that gleams on an icy road in an early '80's Heuer catalogue.
Similarly, but IMO more beneficial to the vehicle brand, we can probably pair the Omega Speedmaster and the Triumph Speedmaster motorbike.

Yet other pairings can be less flattering: iconic as they may be considered and even older than the watch from what they claim, I am not sure that the Carrera glasses have such appeal, not to speak of the Carrera blue jeans...

Still I think that some kind of protection or 'exclusivity' associated to the usage of the name in a specific field should be there for the foremost names.
And yet we see this strange "Carrera" and, of course, we used to have the Heuer Daytona and the Rolex Daytona...

Any insight from the more knowledgeable guys here?

Cheers,

Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE