The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Bundeswehr 3H authenticity check

Hi,

I will not venture to qualify the authenticity of this piece, but as another poster has said, the case-back engraving looks both inconsistent and not contemporary with the watch.

The part of the versorgungsnummer (i.e. VSN or NSN) that you are concerned with is the part of the number referring to the watch model. Normally you would expect the number 146 in the case of this watch referring to the 1550SG. The 46 on your watch I have not seen before.

My own view is that this is a new case-back and the VSN/NSN has been incorrectly re-engraved. This in itself may not be a big problem, but I would raise serious issues about the watch and seller for me. This should be made clear in the sale information, if it is not, then one should wonder why...

Be careful using the brownsnout/Manning article for verification purposes because it is not 100% complete and tends to lend a false sense of security. I have personally handled many BUND watches that do not correspond exactly with the Manning article.

I hate to say this, but, you are going to tell me that you raised these issues with the seller before hand rather then simply slapping down a lot of money on a watch which, while I think it looks OK apart from the case-back, could be a 'put-together' or worse...? This is one reason I will not buy something like a Heuer BUND on that particular site. Remember these watches are not rare, there have been many thousands of them issues (perhaps as many as tens of thousands) and therefore there is no end of pieces which could be 'put-together'. The seller's story is 100% more important than any pictures they provide!

: hi,

: i just bought a Heuer Bund 3H off of ebay and i want to get an
: authentic check from everyone here. the watch seems to be in
: good condition and authentic, the only problem i have with it is
: the markings on the back of the casing. the letters seem to be
: self etched in and in a different type than what i've seen on
: other bund watches. the serial # is also different than what
: i've seen, all the other 1s i've seen have the #
: 6645-12-146-3774, but this 1 has # 6645-12-46-3774 without the 1
: in front of the 46.

: can anyone clarify these differences for me? and tell me if the
: watch is authentic or not?

: here's the link (
: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180570241586&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:DE:1123#ht_4156wt_1019
: )

: thanks

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE