The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The SuperOcean 2105 "story"

Hi Stewart!
This Breitling SuperOcean Chrono-Matic 2105 dates from 1969 according to the serial number (1316XXX) reference list in Benno Richter's book, "Breitling, The History of a Great . . . .". That book shows a couple b/w pics (pages 46 & 48) of it. Apparently this particular model never made it into any Breitling catalogs (at least I can't find any) but there is also a nice color pic in last year's deluxe "Breitling, The Book", on page 205. This is one of the "Fried Egg" series Breitlings as Alex (Ape) and others like to refer to them (and other models with the same case). The case is a big for its time 47.88mm (without crown) and it contains a Caliber 12 movement. I do love this watch and it keeps excellent time.

I bought mine NOS in 2007 from a Chicago dealer (Old World Jewelers). This dealer/retailer bought a large inventory of late 1960's to 1970's various NOS Breitlings that had been in a Zurich bank vault from approximately 1979 to 1996. When Willy Breitling closed down his company in 1979 (due to the "quartz crisis" and his subsequent death) he put approximately 3000 NOS watches (various models including different Chrono-Matics, Cosmonauts, Trans-Oceans, Pupitre's, Datora's) away in storage rather than allow them to be auctioned for a pittance (this info comes from issue #37 of IW Magazine). The new Breitling owners (Schneider family) apparently did not want them when they acquired the Breitling name and company in 1979. However, a Mr. Joseph Iten acquired 1500 of the watches in 1996, while an unnamed German collector bought the other 1500 or so assorted watches. Old World bought Mr. Iten's share of watches at a subsequent auction in 1999 (give or take a year) following Mr. Iten's death. A few years later it was reported (March 2003 IW Magazine) that Old World bought the other 1500 watches from the German collector/source. I first saw the SuperOcean and other NOS Breitlings in Old World Jeweler's full page color ad in the 2003 edition of "Wristwatch Annual". I should have bought one then since the price at that time was $1495! Fortunately, when I finally decide to buy one in 2007, they still had a few of the SuperOceans left at $1795, later increased to $1995 and lastly at $2495 when they sold out of that model. Anyhow, sorry to go on and on! I think it's a fascinating story and enjoy relaying it to others. The Chicago retailer still has a few other NOS Breitlings left but no more #2105 SuperOceans. There is one now on e-bay but the buyer wants a (perhaps) unrealistic $4250. I'm glad you like mine Stewart, giving me this excuse to ramble on and on, LOL!
Cheers,
Steve

: I love that watch Stephen,
: Can you tell me more about it? I've googled it, but nothing like
: yours comes up.

: Thanks
: Stewart

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE